KnowledgeMill Filer for Outlook (2007, 2010, 2013)
A plug-in for Outlook which, combined with the KnowledgeMill server agent to do the filing in the background, uniquely empowers users to distinguish between business critical content and other emails.
Content is categorised the first time a user interacts with it – either at inception of the email or the first time it is read and saved. This file-as-you-go process means that every derivative email and interaction can be automatically filed without user action. The system’s ability to track email threads in this way also works with externally sent email to, for example, clients.
In addition to file-as-you-go, KnowledgeMill can file thousands of emails in one go (bulk filing, drag & drop, folder filing) with no degradation to Outlook – so retrospective filing by the user or their delegate does not impact on time.
Users who have their own established Outlook filing structure can choose to synchronise them with KnowledgeMill. This auto-filing functionality can be extended when combined with Outlook rules and allows users to file from their mobile device.
Background transactional filing design means zero impact to Outlook and end user. The Outlook hangs and locks associated with traditional e-filing solutions do not occur. Intelligent features such as compression and caching ensure the best end user experience possible. The ability to “file on behalf of” supports established working practices. De-duplication ensures that only one unique copy of a filed email is held.
KnowledgeMill archive access is straightforwardly within Outlook – no separate applications – and because the business can now manage email bloat with subtle retention policies, there is less need to resort to blunt inbox quota’s and bulk archiving.
KnowledgeMill SharePoint web parts
The OnePlace SharePoint Web Parts are a series of pre-built off-the-shelf web parts that expose core OnePlace functionality into a SharePoint site. These can be run alongside existing Web Parts in order to provide mash-ups of functionality.
The most common usage is to plug the email gap in SharePoint and automatically surface filed emails in SharePoint sites.
KnowledgeMill SharePoint Web Parts currently includes the following feature set:
- Surface emails, documents, or attachments in a feature rich interactive grid control
- Perform advanced server side searching against any content or metadata
- Preview emails and documents inline within the SharePoint site
- Launch emails directly back into Outlook from SharePoint for immediate reply of forward
- Drill down to any part of an email without Outlook using our online viewer
- Advanced filtering and drill down of metadata including by user, email address, or company domain
- Client side "quick search" for rapid response
KnowledgeMill Document Filer
Document filing is a configurable extension of KnowledgeMill Email Filer, and simply provides the user with a second tab view into KnowledgeMill folders where any kind of content can be stored.
From within a KnowledgeMill folder in Outlook the user can simply click ‘add document’, navigate with explorer and pull the file into the folder. Or if the content is an attachment in an email, simply rightclick and select ‘create managed document’.
Additionally, a plug-in for Office 2010 and 2013 allows users to save directly to KnowledgeMill folders.
Key features include:
- Unique user experience of managing email and documents simply and intuitively in Outlook
- Document filing from within Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), SharePoint or Web, helping to build a rich set of metadata with document descriptors such as title, date, time author, location and size
- Microsoft 2007/2010 compatible and Cloud ready for BPOS/Office 365
- Version Control (for tracking different versions major/minor of the same document or file with revisions)
- Collaboration, , extending multiple authorized user access to the content
- Search (to find the relevant information and associated files) a simple interface to find single, group or collection of documents
- Navigation (to be able to browse to the relevant files or documents)
- Documents Association (folder structures, outlines and summaries)
- Document Archiving - Business Driven Information Lifecycle Management ‘ILM’ to help manage retention, storage migration or deletion policies.
- Security, restricting access to authorized personnel and adhering to regulation
- eDiscovery and Compliance for risk mitigation
- Centralised Management Module
Web and mobile access
All content filed by KnowledgeMill can be accessed through any web browser on a PC using KnowledgeMill Web. For iPhone and iPad, KnowledgeMill content can be accessed with native iOS Apps.
Users can continue to file to KnowledgeMill using any mobile device (eg iPhone, Android, Blackberry) by taking advantage of the associative filing feature of KnowledgeMill Email Filer.
e-Discovery is a highly specialized and cost consuming legal process. But a large part of the exercise is the initial identification and classification of relevant emails, and this is where KnowledgeMill can simplify and dramatically reduce cost and increase speed.
KnowledgeMill e-Discovery Primer is a web application that simplifies formal, and informal, e-Discovery exercises. Risk Managers can directly search for and review all the data relating to a particular customer, client, project or legal matter.
Because content is already categorised and filed in KnowledgeMill, search parameters are much simpler, and there is no longer a daunting mess of content to be sifted through. Authorised staff, without specialist training, can collect all the relevant business content and move it for review and analysis and then pass it to the requestor. Just as importantly, this refined and reviewed material can be fed back into the system and retained for future use.